|SMMUSD Accepting Applications for Measure M Bond Oversight Committee for Malibu Schools
The Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District is seeking applicants for a citizen’s Bond Oversight Committee for Measure M, which passed overwhelmingly in November.
Measure M raises $195 million for use in School Facilities Improvement District No. 2, which covers SMMUSD schools in Malibu. It’s the first time Malibu schools have had dedicated funding.
Applications are due Feb. 27 at 5 p.m.
Read more about the application process here >
The Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District was successful at the election conducted on November 7, 2006 in obtaining authorization from the District’s voters to issue up to $268,000,000 aggregate principal amount of the District’s general obligation bonds (Measure BB). The District was once again successful with 67.73% of the votes at the election conducted on November 6, 2012 in obtaining authorization from the District’s voter to issue up to $385,000,000 aggregate principal amount of the District’s general obligation bonds (Measure ES). The election was conducted under Proposition 39, being chaptered as the Strict Accountability in Local School Construction Bonds Act of 2000. Pursuant to Section 15278 of the Education Code, the District is obligated to establish a Committee in order to satisfy the accountability requirements of Prop 39. The Board of Education of the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District established the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee in December 2006 in compliance with this requirement.
The duties of the Committee include:
The membership of the Committee includes up to seven (7) members selected by the Board using the following criteria:
- Informing the public concerning expenditure of bond proceeds.
- Reviewing expenditure reports produced by the District to ensure that (a) bond proceeds are being expended only for the purposes set forth in the Measure BB and Measure ES; and (b) no bond proceeds were used for any teacher or administrative salaries or other operating expenses.
- Providing an annual report to the Board that includes a statement indicating whether the District is in compliance with the requirements of Article XIIIA, Section 1(b)(3) of the California Constitutions and a summary of the Committee’s proceeding and activities for the preceding year.
- One member shall be the parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the District
- One member shall be both a parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the District and active in a parent-teacher organization
- One member active in a business organization representing the business community located in the District
- One member shall be active in a senior citizens’ organization
- One member shall be active in a bona-fide taxpayers association
- Two members of the community at-large.